What’s the Ideal Waist Size?
Are there benefits to reducing waist size? Increased risk of metabolic complications starts at an abdominal circumference of 31.5 inches in women and 37 inches in most men, though it’s closer to 35.5 inches for South Asian, Chinese, and Japanese men.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger's brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
This video may be triggering for people with a history of eating disorders. While there is an optimum waist size for health, it is important that one does not go to extreme measures to achieve these numbers, as this can result in devastating physical and mental consequences. For those struggling with an eating disorder, consider checking out https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/.
This is the final video in this series on obesity and weight. If you missed any of the others, check them out:
• The Best Knee Replacement Alternative for Osteoarthritis Treatment (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-best-knee-repl
• The Effects of Obesity on Back Pain, Blood Pressure, Cancer, and Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-effects-of-obe
• The Effects of Obesity on Dementia, Brain Function, and Fertility (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-effects-of-obe
• The Effects of Obesity on Gallstones, Acid Reflux, and Cardiovascular Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-effects-of-obe
• The Effects of Obesity on the Immune System and Kidney and Liver Diseases (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-effects-of-obe
• Is the Obesity Paradox Real or a Myth? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/is-the-obesity-par
• What’s the Ideal BMI? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/whats-the-ideal-bm
I cover all of this and more at length in my book How Not to Diet (https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/). And, its companion—the brand-new [How Not to Diet Cookbook]—has more than 100 delicious Green-Light recipes that incorporate some of my 21 Tweaks (https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/trailer-for-how-n for the acceleration of body fat loss.
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/whats-the-ideal-wa and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/whats-the-ideal-w You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscr....iption_center?add_us
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then "Subtitles/CC." Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org