What’s the Ideal BMI?
Is there a unisex chart to see what your optimal weight might be based on your height? How to calculate the ideal BMI.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger's brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
If you missed the previous videos in this obesity series, see:
• The Best Knee Replacement Alternative for Osteoarthritis Treatment (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-best-knee-repl
• The Effects of Obesity on Back Pain, Blood Pressure, Cancer, and Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-effects-of-obe
• The Effects of Obesity on Dementia, Brain Function, and Fertility (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-effects-of-obe
• The Effects of Obesity on Gallstones, Acid Reflux, and Cardiovascular Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-effects-of-obe
• The Effects of Obesity on the Immune System and Kidney and Liver Diseases (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-effects-of-obe
• Is the Obesity Paradox Real or a Myth? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/is-the-obesity-par
As a reminder, BMI doesn’t take composition of weight into account (fat versus muscle). I dive into this topic in my next video:: What’s the Ideal Waist Size? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/whats-the-ideal-wa
While we should not understate the health risks that obesity raises—all of which are outlined in my series on the ABCs of obesity—we also recognize the effects that stigma against body size has on one’s health. We will have several videos to be released within the next few months covering issues of body shaming and how it affects not only mental health, but also access to healthcare.
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/whats-the-ideal-bm and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/whats-the-ideal-b You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscr....iption_center?add_us
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then "Subtitles/CC." Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org