The Efficacy and Safety of Creatine for High Homocysteine
Those on a healthy plant-based diet with elevated homocysteine levels despite taking sufficient vitamin B12 may want to consider taking a gram a day of contaminant-free creatine.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free newsletter to receive our fasting infographic that covers the latest research on the risks and benefits of different types of fasting: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe.
This concludes my series on stroke risk. If you missed any of the videos here they are:
• What to Eat for Stroke Prevention (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/what-to-eat-for-st
• What Not to Eat for Stroke Prevention (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/what-not-to-eat-fo
• Do Vegetarians Really Have Higher Stroke Risk? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/do-vegetarians-rea
• Vegetarians and Stroke Risk Factors—Vitamin D? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/vegetarians-and-st
• Vegetarians and Stroke Risk Factors—Omega 3s? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/vegetarians-and-st
• Vegetarians and Stroke Risk Factors—Vegan Junk Food? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/vegetarians-and-st
• Vegetarians and Stroke Risk Factors—Saturated Fat? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/vegetarians-and-st
• Vegetarians and Stroke Risk Factors—Animal Protein? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/vegetarians-and-st
• Vegetarians and Stroke Risk Factors—Vitamin B12 & Homocysteine? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/vegetarians-and-st
• How to Test for Functional Vitamin B12 Deficiency (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/how-to-test-for-fu
• Should Vegetarians Take Creatine to Normalize Homocysteine? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/should-vegetarians
• The Efficacy and Safety of Creatine for High Homocysteine (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-efficacy-and-s
Now I’m assuming that nearly everyone who’s taking their B12 will have normal homocysteine levels, so these last two videos are just for the rare person that doesn’t, but those on a healthy plant-based diet with elevated homocysteine levels despite taking sufficient vitamin B12 should consider taking a gram a day of contaminant-free creatine (which would be about a quarter teaspoon).
OK, so where do you get contaminant-free creatine? You can’t rely on supplement manufacturers no matter what they say, since the regulation is so lax, so I would recommend going directly to the chemical suppliers that sell it to laboratories and guarantee a certain purity. Here are some examples from some of the largest companies in alphabetical order where you can get unadulterated creatine:
• Alfa Aesar (https://www.alfa.com/en/catalog/B25009/)
• Fisher Scientific (https://www.fishersci.com/shop..../products/creatine-m
• Sigma-Aldrich (https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/c....atalog/product/sigma
• TCI America (https://www.tcichemicals.com/e....shop/en/us/commodity
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-efficacy-and-s and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/the-efficacy-and- You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscr....iption_center?add_us
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then "Subtitles/CC." Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate/
• How to Survive a Pandemic: https://nutritionfacts.org/how....-to-survive-a-pandem
• How Not to Die: https://nutritionfacts.org/book
• How Not to Diet: https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio/