Should Vitamin D Supplements Be Taken to Prevent Falls in the Elderly?
4,000 IU of vitamin D a day are recommended for elders at high risk for falling to improve muscle strength and balance, though there is something that works even better.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger's brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
Other studies in which vitamin D supplements have been put to the test in randomized, placebo controlled studies (effectively proving (or disproving!) their efficacy) are featured in videos such as Will You Live Longer if You Take Vitamin D Supplements? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/will-you-live-long and Do Vitamin D Supplements Help with Diabetes, Weight Loss, and Blood Pressure (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/do-vitamin-D-suppl
That brings up a bunch of important questions, answered here:
• How Much Vitamin D Should You Take? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/how-much-vitamin-D
• The Optimal Dose of Vitamin D Based on Natural Levels (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-optimal-dose-o
• The Best Way to Get Vitamin D: Sun, Supplements, or Salons? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-best-way-to-ge
• The Risks and Benefits of Sensible Sun Exposure (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-risks-and-bene
Unfortunately, most supplements are useless or worse. Here are a few of my more recent supplement videos:
• Are Calcium Supplements Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/are-calcium-supple
• Are Calcium Supplements Effective? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/are-calcium-supple
• Industry Response to Plants Not Pills (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/industry-response-
• What is the Optimal Vitamin C intake? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/what-is-the-optima
• Black Raspberry Supplements Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/black-raspberry-su
• How to Develop a Healthy Gut Ecosystem (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/how-to-develop-a-h
More on the benefits of exercise can be found in videos like Longer Life Within Walking Distance (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/longer-life-within
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/should-vitamin-d-s and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/should-vitamin-d-s. You’ll also find a transcript of the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscr....iption_center?add_us
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Image credit: David J via flickr. Image has been modified.
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org