Norovirus Food Poisoning from Pesticides
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org’s free newsletter to receive our B12 infographic that covers the latest research takeaways and Dr. Greger’s updated recommendations: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
DESCRIPTION: Organic produce may present less of a food safety risk, given the potential contamination of pesticides with fecal pathogens.
When you hear of people getting infected with a stomach bug like E. coli from something like spinach, it's important to realize that the pathogen didn't originate from the spinach. Intestinal bugs come from intestines. Greens don't have guts; plants don't poop.
So the Salmonella in alfalfa sprout seeds (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/dont-eat-raw-alfal likely came from manure run-off or contaminated irrigation water. But this pesticide angle adds a whole new route for fecal pathogens to pollute produce. Broccoli Sprouts (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/broccoli-sprouts/) are safer, and organic sprouts may therefore be safer still.
Organic foods may also be healthier (see http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/cancer-fighting-be and don't carry the potential chemical hazards associated with pesticides. See my videos:
• CDC Report on Environmental Chemical Exposure (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/%EF%BB%BFcdc-repor
• Preventing Parkinson's Disease With Diet (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/preventing-parkins
• Can Pesticides Be Rinsed Off? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/can-pesticides-be-
• Pesticides in Chinese Bamboo Shoots (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/pesticides-in-chin
• Plants vs. Pesticides (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/plants-vs-pesticid
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/norovirus-food-poi and he'll try to answer it!
Image Credit: tpmartins and Roger Smith via flickr, and the CDC.
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org