Flashback Friday: Would Taxing Unhealthy Foods Improve Public Health?
Increasing the cost of cigarettes through tobacco taxes is one of the most effective ways to decrease the harms of smoking. What does the science say about sodium, sugar and saturated fat?
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger's brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
This is kind of the flipside to my video Taxpayer Subsidies for Unhealthy Foods (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/taxpayer-subsidies
For more on how the food industry has borrowed from the tobacco industry playbook, see:
• Collaboration with the New Vectors of Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/collaboration-with
• Big Food Using the Tobacco Industry Playbook (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/big-food-using-tth
• American Medical Association Complicity with Big Tobacco (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/american-medical-a
But wait, what about those that insist that sodium really isn’t bad for you? See:
• Sprinkling Doubt: Taking Sodium Skeptics with a Pinch of Salt (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/sprinkling-doubt-t
• The Evidence that Salt Raises Blood Pressure (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-evidence-that-
• Sodium Skeptics Try to Shake up the Salt Debate (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/sodium-skeptics-tr
But wait, what about those that insist that saturated fat really isn’t bad for you? See The Saturated Fat Studies: Buttering Up the Public (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-saturated-fat- and The Saturated Fat Studies: Set Up to Fail (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-saturated-fat-
But wait, what about those that insist that sugar really isn’t bad for you? See Big Sugar Takes on the World Health Organization (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/big-sugar-takes-on and Does Diet Soda Increase Stroke Risk as Much as Regular Soda? (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/....video/does-diet-soda
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/flashback-friday-w and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/flashback-friday- You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscr....iption_center?add_us
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then "Subtitles/CC." Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
Image credit: Rafael Edwards via flickr. Image has been modified.
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org