Flashback Friday: How Much Should You Exercise?
Physical fitness authorities seem to have fallen into the same trap as the nutrition authorities, recommending what they think may be achievable, rather than simply informing us what the science says and letting us make up our own mind.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger's brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
If you like our just-give-it-to-me-straight attitude, please consider making a tax-deductible donation to support our work on our donation page (https://nutritionfacts.org/donate/). I’m happy to report we’re designated a Platinum charity by Guidestar for our dedication to transparency and accountability.
Most of the content in my book How Not to Die (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/book-trailer-for-h came from my video research, but this particular video actually sprung from the book. I wanted to include exercise into my Daily Dozen (https://nutritionfacts.org/app..../uploads/2018/03/imp list, but needed to do this research to see what was the best “serving size.”
I wish someone would start some kind of FitnessFacts.org website to review the exercise literature. I’ve got my brain full with the nutrition stuff—though there’s so much good information I don’t have time to review that there could be ten more sites just covering nutritional science!
For more on all that exercise can do for our bodies and minds, see:
• Exercise vs. Drugs for Depression (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/exercise-vs-drugs-
• Treating ADHD Without Stimulants (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/Treating-ADHD-with
• Reversing Cognitive Decline (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/Reversing-Cognitiv
• Exercise and Breast Cancer (https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/exercise-breast-c
• Longer Life Within Walking Distance (https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/longer-life-withi
• Vegetarian Muscle Power, Strength, and Endurance (https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/vegetarian-muscle
• The First Studies on Vegetarian Athletes (https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/the-first-studies
• The Gladiator Diet: How Vegetarian Athletes Stack Up (https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/the-gladiator-die
Some tips for maximizing the benefits:
• Enhanced Athletic Recovery Without Undermining Adaptation (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/enhanced-athletic-
• Paleo Diets May Negate Benefits of Exercise (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/Paleo-Diets-May-Ne
• Preserving Athlete Immunity with Chlorella (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/preserving-athlete
• Preventing Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress with Watercress (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/preventing-exercis
• Whole Beets vs. Juice for Improving Athletic Performance (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/whole-beets-vs-jui
• Foods to Improve Athletic Performance and Recovery (https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/foods-to-improve-
• Ground Ginger to Reduce Muscle Pain (https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/ground-ginger-to-
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/flashback-friday-h and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at https://nutritionfacts.org/vid....eo/flashback-friday- You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscr....iption_center?add_us
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then "Subtitles/CC." Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
Image credit: Kristina DeMuth.
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org