Donating Blood to Prevent Cancer?
Prioritizing plant-based sources of iron may be more effective than giving blood at reducing the risk of potentially “ferrotoxic” (iron-related) diseases such as cancer and diabetes.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger's brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
What blood donor study? See the “prequel” video Donating Blood to Prevent Heart Disease? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/donating-blood-to-
Other examples of when normal lab values are not necessarily ideal can be found in:
• When Low Risk Means High Risk (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/when-low-risk-mean
• Optimal Cholesterol Level (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/optimal-cholestero
• How Not to Die from High Blood Pressure (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/how-not-to-die-fro
Even though a plant-based diet may be preferable for personal disease risk, still doesn’t mean we shouldn’t all give blood! Join me in supporting the Red Cross (http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood).
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/donating-blood-to- and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/donating-blood-to-. You’ll also find a transcript of the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscr....iption_center?add_us
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Image credit: Steel Wool via flickr. Image has been modified.
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org