Apple Skin: Peeling Back Cancer
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org for free and receive a copy of the preface for Dr. Greger’s new book, How to Survive a Pandemic: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe.
DESCRIPTION: Apple peels appear to upregulate the tumor suppressor gene maspin and have strong antiproliferative effects on breast and prostate cancer cell growth in vitro. What's wrong with just drinking apple juice? See yesterday's NutritionFacts.org video-of-the-day Apple Juice May Be Worse Than Sugar Water (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/apple-juice-may-be Peeling conventionally grown apples does get rid of a significant proportion of the pesticides, but the benefits of eating the peels (even from conventional apples) far outweighs any risk that may come from the pesticide exposure. Of course one can get all the benefits without the risks by choosing organic, but one should never let pesticide concerns lead one to skimp on fruit and vegetable consumption. To see what a whole diet full of plant foods can do to prostate and breast cancer cell growth see Ex Vivo Cancer Proliferation Bioassay (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/developing-an-ex-v and The Answer to the Pritikin Puzzle (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-answer-to-the- respectively. More on the wonders of apples in Dried Apples Versus Cholesterol (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/dried-apples-versu and Apples & Breast Cancer (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/apples-breast-canc
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/apple-skin-peeling and he'll try to answer it!
Image Credit: 427 and jspad via Flickr.
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate/
• How to Survive a Pandemic: https://nutritionfacts.org/how....-to-survive-a-pandem
• How Not to Die: https://nutritionfacts.org/book
• How Not to Diet: https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio/