Anti-Angiogenesis: Cutting Off Tumor Supply Lines
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger's brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
DESCRIPTION: Cancer cells are commonly present in the body, but cannot grow into tumors without hooking up a blood supply. Angiogenesis inhibitors in plant foods may help prevent this from happening.
The cancer-promoting growth hormone IGF-1 is another angiogenic factor, helping tumors turn on the gravy train. This may be another reason plant-based diets protect against cancer, since as few as two weeks on a healthy diet can lower IGF-1 levels. See my series on the elegant experiments that discovered this:
• Ex Vivo Cancer Proliferation Bioassay (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/developing-an-ex-v
• IGF-1 as One-Stop Cancer Shop (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/igf-1-as-one-stop-
• Cancer-Proofing Mutation (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/cancer-proofing-mu
• The Answer to the Pritikin Puzzle (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/the-answer-to-the-
• How Plant-Based to Lower IGF-1? (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/how-plant-based-to
One way cancer turns on the tap is silencing certain tumor suppressor genes. How do you turn them back on? See, for example, Apple Skin: Peeling Back Cancer (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/apple-skin-peeling
How else can strawberries smack on the cancer kibosh? See Strawberries versus Esophageal Cancer (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/strawberries-versu and Cancer Fighting Berries (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/cancer-fighting-be
Because we all likely have cancer cells inside us, Cancer Prevention and Treatment May Be the Same Thing (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/cancer-prevention- To die with cancer rather than from cancer, we need to slow down cancer doubling time. Check out one of my oldie-but-goodie video Slowing the Growth of Cancer (http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/slowing-the-growth
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/vide....o/http://nutritionfa and he'll try to answer it!
Image Credit: Jeff Kubina via flickr; Sun417, Evan-Amos, Amagill, and Igno2 via Wikimedia; and niusheng11.
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org